This was the first ever Highland distillery to obtain a license much to the anger of neighbouring illicit distillers, who considered this treacherous behaviour. The resultant threats to George Smith and his distillery were so numerous that he took to carrying a pair of pistols, presented to him by the Laird of Aberlour, with him night and day. Robert Lockhart in ‘Scotch: The Whisky of Scotland in Fact and Story’ recounts only one story of the guns ever being used and even then preventatively!
Amusingly, and confusingly, twenty seven other distilleries use, or have used the -Glenlivet suffix. Perhaps in part this was an attempt to bask in the reflected glory and good name of The Glenlivet, however the other distilleries argued that the name had become a byword for the Speyside style whiskies in much the same way Islay referred to peated whisky. After £30,000 and 400 affidavits had been served, an agreement was reached that ten distilleries* would be permitted to use the -Glenlivet suffix and refer to their blends as ‘Blended Glenlivet’. The historical curiosity of the -Glenlivet suffix is generally a good way to differentiate between official and older/independent bottling
The Glenlivet is widely available in supermarkets across the UK, usually in the guise of the Founders Reserve NAS (No Age Statements) which replaced the Standard 12 expression. Internationally the 12 is still available. Otherwise bottles are still fairly easy to come by, and older bottles such as the Archive are well worth trying. The brands more recent range of NAS whiskies has unfortunately generally displaced rather than complimented the existing line up, often for a higher price the removed age statements.
*Glenrothes, Glenlossie, Macallan, Aberlour, Benrinnes, Cragganmore, Linkwood, Glen Grant, Mortlach and Glenfarclas
|Name||Pronounced||AKA||Region||Country of Origin|
|Status||Active||Whisky Type||Website||Tours Available|
|Active||1824 - Present||Malt||Glenlivet||Tour Link|
|Manager||Distiller||Blender||Owned by||Parent Group|
|Alan Winchester||Chivas Brothers Ltd.|
1774: Andrew Smith begins distillation on his farm site
1817: Andrew Smith dies leaving his farm and distillery to his son George
1824: Following the Excise Act of 1823, much to the displeasure of his neighbours, themselves operating illicit stills George Smith takes out a license and establishes Glenlivet distillery at Upper Drummin farm. The first distiller in the Highlands to do so
1840: George buys Delnabo farm near Tomintoul and establishing Delnabo distillery (renamed Cairngorm Distillery in 1850)
1845: George leases another 3 farms establishing distilleries at Minmore on land obtained from the Duke of Gordon
1858: The Upper Drummin distillery was closed during 1858 due to fire damage though the bulk of the equipment was saved and consolidated into the Minmore site
1859: The Delnabo distillery by this point renamed Cairngorm Distillery is closed and its equipment is also consolidated into the Minmore site. The site is renamed Glenlivet
1864: George Smith goes into business with Andrew P. Usher the noted blender and distiller and begins exporting Glenlivet with considerable success
1870: Glenlivet is registered as a trademark
1871: George Smith dies leaving the business to his son John Gordon Smith
1875: The Smith’s solicitor when re-registering the trademark, added a graphic rather than just the word itself
1880: John Gordon Smith applies for and is granted the sole rights to the name 'The Glenlivet'
1882: John Gordon Smith and his agent Andrew Usher begin their court case with individual affidavits being served distillers to prevent them using the -Glenliviet suffix.
1884: Agreement is reached, only John Gordon Smith may use the name 'The Glenlivit' in exchange ten distilleries:Glenrothes, Glenlossie, Macallan, Aberlour, Benrinnes, Cragganmore, Linkwood, Glen Grant, Mortlach and Glenfarclas were granted permission to use the -Glenlivet suffix
1890: A fire ravaged through the site and several of the buildings need to be replaced
1896: The distillery is expanded with a further two stills
1901: John Gordon Smith dies
1904: George Smith Grant the nephew of John Gordon Smith takes over the site
1953: George & J.G. Smith amalgamate with J.& J.Grant of Glen Grant Ltd to form The Glenlivet & Glen Grant Distilleries Ltd.
1966: The floor maltings are closed
1970: The Glenlivet & Glen Grant Distilleries Ltd. Is amalgamated with Longmorn-Glenlivet Distilleries Ltd. and Hill Thomson & Co Ltd. to form The Glenlivet Distilleries Ltd.
1978: The Glenlivet Distilleries Ltd. Is purchased by the Seagram Company Ltd of Canada. The Eight stills are upgraded to gas fired. A dark-grains plant & visitor centre is added to the site
1996: The visitor centre is expanded
2000: The French and American oak 12 year oldf Single malts are launched
2001: Seagram Company Ltd. are sold to Pernod Ricard
2004: The 15 year old French Oak replaces the 12
2009: Four more stills are added
2011: A further two stills are commisioned bringing capacity up to 10.5 million litres per annum
2015: The 12 year old is removed from the UK market to be replaced by a NAS The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve, A further expansion of the distillery is currently underway