In 2017, the Glenkinchie Distillery celebrated its 180th birthday. The distillery near the capital of Scotland is one of the last in the Lowlands. It is located on the way from Northern England to Edinburgh on the beautiful east coast of Scotland. Due to its proximity to Edinburgh, the whisky produced there is also called Edinburgh Malt.
|Name||Pronounced||AKA||Region||Country of Origin|
|Status||Active||Whisky Type||Website||Tours Available|
|Active||1837 - Present||Malt||Glenkinchie||Tour Link|
|Manager||Distiller||Blender||Owned by||Parent Group|
1837: Established by the Rate brothers, John and George, who had been originally farmers and grew and malted their own barley on the premises
1840: Said to have been worked by James Gray of Leechman & Gray
1852: John Rate is licensee
1853: The Rate brothers went bankrupt, and the distillery was used mainly as a cowshed. A part was sold to a farmer Christie and converted into a sawmill
1880-81: The distillery was bought by the Glen Kinchie Distillery Co., a consortium of whisky merchants and blenders from Leith and Edinburgh and production was started again after rebuilding the distillery and maltings
1890: The Glen Kinchie Distillery Co. was founded with Major James Gray as General Manager. Reconstruction and refurbishment is going on for the next few years
1890-1914: Limited company
1914: Became a founding member of Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD), established to consolidate the resources and interest of malt distillers in the Lowlands. Two stills. Licensed to John Haig & Co. Ltd.
1925: Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD) is bought by Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL), and Glenkinchie is licensed to join John Haig & Co.
1939-45: One of the few distilleries allowed to maintain a small production during WWII
1968: Floor maltings stopped being used
1969: The old floor maltings is converted into a museum
1972: Stills became steamheated
1988-89: Malt becomes available as a single malt as part of United Distillers’s Classic Malt range
1996: Opening of new visitor centre