Tobermory

Distillery Factsheet

Name Pronounced AKA Region Country of Origin
Tobermory Highlands Scotland
Status Active Whisky Type Website Tours Available
Active 1798 - Present Malt Tobermory Not Available
Manager Distiller Blender Owned by Parent Group
Ian Macmillan Burn Stewart Distillers

Tobermory Timeline:

1795: Said to have been started by John Sinclair who took a lease on a piece of land beside the Ledaig Burn near the harbour of Tobermory of the British Fisheries Society. In its first year the distillery produced 292 proof gallons (1,327 litres) of whisky

1823-Oct-25: A feu charter dated 25 October 1823 covering the main area of land was granted by the British Society for Extending the Fisheries and improving the sea coasts of the kingdom in favour of John Sinclair Esq. of Lochaline in the parish of Morven

1827-30: Sinclair & McLachlan

1833-37: John Sinclair

1863: Distillery closed after the death of John Sinclair

1878: Re-established

1881: W. Campbell & Co.

1887: Mackill Brothers went bankrupt

1890-1916: Acquired by John Hopkins & Son & Co. which resumed production

1916: John Hopkins & Co. was taken over by the Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL), who continued to operate under the same name

1930-Jun: Distillery closed

1972: Revived as Ledaig Distillery (Tobermory) Ltd. by a consortium epresenting some Liverpool shippers and the Domecq sherry group from Spain. The distillery was extensively reconstructed and all stills became steamheated. The annual output became 800,000 proof gallons (over 3.6 million litres) which was too much in those difficult years

1975: In receivership

1978: Acquired by the Kirkleavington Property Co. of Cleckheaton, Yorkshire, who have assigned it to Tobermory Distillers Ltd.

1981: Distillery closed

1990: Distllery reopened

1993: Bought by Burn Stewart Distillers for £600,000 plus £200,000 for stock. Four stills

1999: Owned by Burn Stewart Distillers plc

2004: Owned by Burn Stewart Distillers plc