Teaninich

Distillery Factsheet

Name Pronounced AKA Region Country of Origin
Teaninich Highlands Scotland
Status Active Whisky Type Website Tours Available
Active 1817 - Present Malt Teaninich Not Available
Manager Distiller Blender Owned by Parent Group
Not Listed Diageo

Teaninich Timeline:

1817: Founded by Captain Hugh Munro of Teaninich on his land near Alness, Ross-shire. Continued at least to 1837

1830: Output was 30 times the original

by 1852: Lieut.-Gen. John Munro

from c.1852: Let to Robert Pattison

from c.1867: Let to John McGilchrist Ross who transferred the lease Munro & Cameron of Elgin

1898: Acquired by Munro & Cameron, a spirits merchant and whisky broker from Elgin, which invested a lot of money in the distillery

1905: The assets transferred to Robert Innes Cameron (1904 mentioned as well)

1934: On the death of Robert Innes Cameron (1932) the distillery was sold to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. (SMD) by the trustees of Cameron

1962: Extended from two to four stills, which became all steamheated

1971: New still house was built to hold six additional stills, which made a total of ten stills

1974: ’Old’ site rebuilt. Dark-grains plant. Licensed to R.H. Thomson & Co. (Distillers) Ltd., Edinburgh

1985: Old part of the distillery, holding four stills, was mothballed

1990: Reopened together with dark-grains plant

1992: Licensed to United Malt & Grain Distillers Ltd. (UMGD). United Distillers (UD) started to bottle a single malt

1999: Owned by United Distillers & Vintners (UDV)

2004: Owned by Diageo plc