North British distillery
North British, or NB as it’s more commonly known, is one of the largest distilleries in Scotland and until the Leith distillery comes on stream the only remaining distillery in Scotland’s capital (since 1988 when the Caledonian distillery closed its doors for the last time). Few official bottles exist as the bulk of the spirit is used for blending, though the SMWS and Signatory Vintage lines are available from time to time.
NB is almost inconceivable in capacity, at full steam the distillery can produce 10 bottles of whisky every second and sufficient feed for 28,000 cows every week as such the distillery has had to remain on the cutting edge to limit waste from CO2 capture to fitting anaerobic digesters (AD), the resultant biogas powered engines generate 9,000KW/day of electricity and can be actually be sold back to the national grid.
North British factsheet
|Name||Pronounced||AKA||Region||Country of Origin|
|Status||Active||Whisky Type||Website||Tours Available|
|Active||1885 - Present||Grain||North British||Not Available|
|Manager||Distiller||Blender||Owned by||Parent Group|
|Grain Distillery||Co-owned by Diageo and the Edrington Group|
North British Timeline:
1885: North British grain distillery is founded by Andrew Usher, William Sanderson and John M. Crabbie
1887: North British came on stream in September 1887
1897: Chairman Andrew Usher claims 'There is no whisky more popular in Scotland than North British'
1916: The distillery is converted to be able to produce acetone from maize, though this is ultimately not used
1917: Production ceases due to lack of grain
1920: Production resumes
1939: Production ceases due to the start of the second World War
1948: Scotland's first saladin maltings were installed
1988: The Caledonian closes leaving North British Edinburgh's last distillery
1993: Lothian Distillers is formed buying out all other shareholders
2003: The Maltings and all but one warehousing sites in Edinburgh are sold for redevelopment