Diageo’s most overlooked one! Being the basis of
Blair Athol was originally named Aldour after the local burn.
|Name||Pronounced||AKA||Region||Country of Origin|
|Blair Athol||blair ath*ull||Aldour||Highlands||Scotland|
|Status||Active||Whisky Type||Website||Tours Available|
|Active||1798 - Present||Malt||Blair Athol||Tour Link|
|Manager||Distiller||Blender||Owned by||Parent Group|
Blair Athol Timeline:
1798: Established by John Stewart and Robert Robertson named Aldour Distillery after the nearby river Allt Dour, meaning "Burn of the Otter". This is not a success, probably because of the heavy excise duties on whisky, and the distillery shut
1825: The distillery is expanded by Robert Robertson and renamed Blair Athol Distillery (1825-26 mentioned as well)
1826: The Duke of Atholl leases the distillery to Alexander Connacher & Co.
1827-29: Alexander Connacher & Co.
1829-42: Peter Fraser & Co.
1832: The distillery closes
1852: Alexander Conacher & Co. (Connacher ?)
1860-82: Elizabeth Conacher (Connacher ?)
1882: Purchased and enlarged by P. MacKenzie & Co. (Peter Mackenzie, born in Glenlivet, described himself as a wine and spirit broker of 17A South Castle Street, Liverpool). Two new granaries and malting floors were added
1886: Capacity of over 1,500 gallons (6,800 litres) per week
1897: P. Mackenzie & Co. Distillers Ltd. formed to take over P. Mackenzie & Co. and the Dufftown-Glenlivet Distillery Co. Ltd.
Turn of the century: Capacity for 100,000 gallons (454,000 litres)
1932: Distillery closes
1933: P. Mackenzie & Co. Distillers Ltd. purchased by Arthur Bell & Sons Ltd., but distillery not used until 1949
1949: Distillery rebuilt and reopened
1970: Stills become steamheated, and are increased from two to four
1975: Dark-grain plant
1985: Guinness Group buys Arthur Bell & Sons Ltd.
1987: A visitor centre is built
1992: Licensed to Arthur Bell & Sons plc
1999: Owned by United Distillers & Vintners Ltd. (UDV)
2003: Capacity is increased to 38,000 litres per week
2004: Owned by Diageo plc