The original John Dewer was born on a croft near Aberfeldy in 1806 and started work in the wine trade by 22. Thereafter the family began blending whisky and eventually founded their own distillery at Aberfeldy in 1896. Then as now the distilleries main purpose was to supply malt for the Dewar’s blend, even today the distillery visitor centre is geared around the blend rather than the distilleries own single malt.
Aberfledy like so many other distilleries passed through the hands of Scottish Malt Distillers a DCL subsidiary before being sold to Bicardi where it remains today.
|Name||Pronounced||AKA||Region||Country of Origin|
|Aberfeldy||ah*bur*fell*dee||Dewar's Aberfeldy Distillery||Highlands||Scotland|
|Status||Active||Whisky Type||Website||Tours Available|
|Active||1896 - Present||Malt||Aberfeldy||Tour Link|
|Manager||Distiller||Blender||Owned by||Parent Group|
|Stephanie Macleod||John Dewar & Sons|
1896: The Distillery was built on a piece of land bought by Dewar’s from the Marquis of Breadalbane
1898: The distillery comes online in November
1899: Dewar’s White Label unveiled
1917: Distillery closes as grain is redirected towards food for the rest of the war
1919: Aberfeldy resumes production
1925: Dewar’s, Buchanan’s and Johnnie Walker’s amalgamate with Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL)
1927: Dewar’s produces the worlds first documentary on the production and blending of Scotch whisky.
1930: Transferred to DCL subsidiary Scottish Malt Distillers (SMD)
1942: The distillery closes due to wartime shortages of barley
1944: Aberfeldy resumes production
1972: The distillery is largely rebuilt increasing from four to eight wash backs, two to four stills. Floor maltings are stopped and a dark grains plant is established
1973: Stills are converted to steamheating
1998: Sold to John Dewar & Sons, a subsidiary of the Bacardi Corporation
2000: Opening of Visitor Centre "Dewar’s World of Whisky" in the old maltings