Millburn Distillery, Inverness.
WHAT a lively and interesting place is Inverness. The constant influx of tourists, from all parts, and the ever increasing bustle, combine to invest it with light and life. On leaving the Station Hotel we ascended the Castle Hill, and from thence obtained a fine view of mountains and valleys, river and sea. After spending half an hour in this elevated position, we descended the hill by another way to the main street, where we chartered a cab and soon reached Millburn. The Distillery is about one mile from the town on the old Roman Road, which leads to Fort George, and it is situated under the brow of a steep hill, which races the sea. It has a very handsome appearance, and is built principally of stone. The open cooperage, generally an unsightly building, is here beautified with enclosed trellis-work, painted a rich green. The Distillery was established in the year 1805, and rebuilt on a larger and more improved scale in 1876. Entering the gateway we crossed the Mill Burn, a pretty stream which rattles under the bridge on its way to the sea. On the right hand side of the enclosure, and at the back of the offices, we were shewn the Barley Lofts and Malting Floors, which consist of a range of buildings divided into several floors. The Steeps for wetting the barley are constructed with metal and fixed on the Barley Loft, discharging their contents underneath to the malting floors below. The Kiln is in close proximity, and peat only is used in drying the malt. The Distilling and Mash House is a spacious and lofty building, in the centre of the court yard and facing the entrance gates. It contains a Heating Copper of 1,600 gallons content, and a metal Mash Tun with the usual revolving stirring gear. Leaving this department for awhile, our guide next conducted us to the Tun Room, on the other side of the yard, a clean and well-lighted building, which contains four Washbacks, each holding 4,000 gallons. We then retraced our steps to the larger building, which communicates with the various departments on either side. On a gallery we observed the Wash Charger, which holds 3,000 gallons, and a Refrigerator. Standing on the Floor are two old Pot Stills, and in close proximity is the Low-wines and Feints Charger, holding 1,300 gallons, a Low-wines and Feints Receiver of same capacity, and a Spirit Receiver of 1,200 gallons content. We next paid a visit to the Spirit Store, which contains two Vats, each holding 600 gallons, and the usual weighing and casking apparatus. From thence we directed our steps to the three spacious Bonded Warehouses and the Bottling Store. This last is a well-arranged department, fitted up with all necessary appliances and machinery.
In addition to the cooperage already referred to, there is a carpenter’s shop, and capital offices for the distillery and Excise clerks. The Whisky manufactured is pure Highland Malt, and the annual output is 60,000 gallons.