The below is taken from The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom by Alfred Barnard first published in 1887.
Glengyle Distillery, Campbeltown.
AFTER breakfast the next morning we left the inn and got on the Distillery track again, this time bound for Glengyle. As we were proceeding leisurely up Longrow the occupant of a passing carriage hailed us, and on nearer acquaintance proved to be our old friend, Mr. John Ross. At his courteous invitation we joined him in a visit to the Provost and other Distillers, who, like him, were interested in the compilation of the book on which we were engaged, and assisted us materially in the object of our visit. After making an appointment to visit both his Distilleries in a few days, we left Mr. Ross to pursue his drive homewards, and continued our journey to Glengyle. On our arrival we found much to our chagrin that Mr. Mitchell was away from home, hence our visit was brief and our information concerning this Distillery necessarily somewhat scant. However the Brewer kindly proffered his services which we gladly accepted, and at once commenced our inspection of the place.
This Distillery is situated in Glebe Street, about one mile from the wharf, in the suburbs of Campbeltown. In front of the works there is a fine view of cultured gardens, cultivated fields, and hill slopes whose tops are covered with heather. The works were built in the year 1873 by the present proprietors. It is a neat and compact place, covering upwards of two acres of ground, and all the buildings are spacious and clean. There is a fine Barley Loft, two Malt Barns with Steeps; a Kiln, with wire cloth flooring, in which peat only is used for drying; a good Mill-house and Stores, a Mash Tun, 12 feet by 5, with patent revolving machinery, a 10-horse power Steam Engine, a Boiler 30 feet long and 9 feet in diameter; two Pot Stills, one containing 3,100 gallons, and the other 1,860 gallons; three Receivers holding respectively 2,500, 1,200, and 1,128 gallons, and three Warehouses holding 2,000 casks. There is a Morton’s Refrigerator and a Force Pump. The Wash Charger holds 4,7O0 gallons, and there are six Wash Backs, each containing 6,600 gallons. A Spirit Store capable of holding 30 pun., and Vat containing 2,120 gallons and the water used comes from the Crosshill Loch. Fourteen men are employed on the premises. The annual output is 90,000 gallons.
The Chief Excise Officer is Mr. James Douglas.
Gi’e him strong drink until he winkThat’s sinking in despair;And liquor guid to fire his bluid,That’s prest wi’ grief and care;There let him bouse, and deep carouseWi’ bumpers flowing o’er,Till he forgets his loves or debts,And minds his griefs no more.