The below is taken from The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom by Alfred Barnard first published in 1887.
Glenfoyle Distillery, near Stirling.
FROM Carsebridge we proceeded by railway to Stirling, and from thence re-booked for Gargunnock, the nearest station to Glenfoyle. The Distillery is only a short distance from the station and village. On presenting our credentials to Mr. Bryce, the Manager, we were conducted through the establishment. It was built in 1826, by Messrs. A. Chrystal and John McNee, and came into the hands of Mr. Calder in the year 1880, since which time it has been considerably enlarged. We first visited the Maltings, a substantial brick building, 150 feet long, and 24 feet wide, two stories high. The top is a barley loft, and the ground floor, which has a Steep, is used for making the malt. Attached to the building there is a Kiln, 24 feet square, floored with metal plates, and capable of drying 30 bushels at one time. Adjacent is the Malt Store, 36 feet by 24 feet; a gangway therefrom across the roadway leads into the Mill Building, containing a pair of malt rollers, driven by steam power.
Following our guide, we entered the Brewing House, and were shown an ancient heating copper, with furnace underneath, and a Mash-tun 14 feet in diameter and 6 feet deep, capable of mashing 719 bushels at one time. At the side, and under the level of the Mash-tun, is placed the Underback, which holds 537 gallons. Connected with this house is the Tun Room, which contains six Wash-backs, four of which average 2,466 gallons content, the other two 1,869 gallons. On a platform above, we noticed the Wash-charger, a timber vessel, with a capacity of 2,233 gallons. In the Still House are two old Pot Stills, a Wash Still, holding 1,050 gallons, and a Spirit Still, 650 gallons; also two Low-wines and Feints Chargers, holding respectively 620 and 546 gallons; also a Low-wines and Feints Receiver, 676 gallons, a Spirit-receiver, 582 gallons, and the safe. The coolers are in the roof of the Mash House, and possess the ancient fan arrangement. We were next taken to the Engine House, where there is a steam boiler 16 feet long by 5 diameter, and an eight-horse power steam engine; afterward to the Bonded Warehouses, at the end of the works. There are four of them one, recently erected, measures 80 feet by 60 feet; together they contained at the time of our visit 772 casks, holding 56,170 gallons. Adjoining is the Manager’s, Clerks, and Excise Offices, also the Spirit Store, which contains a vat holding 595 gallons.
The water used for distilling and reducing is brought from the Campsie Fells, through closed pipes into the Distillery.
The Whisky is pure Malt, and the annual output is 30,000 gallons.