The below is taken from The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom by Alfred Barnard first published in 1887.
Glen Spey Distillery, Rothes.
OUR next halting place was Glen Spey, the newest Distillery in the district. It is built just underneath the hill on which stand the ruins of the Castle of Rothes, the ancient seat of the noble family of Leslies, Earls of Rothes.
We commenced our tour of the Distillery, which stands at the opening to the glen, and close by the Rothes Burn. The buildings, erected in the form of a quadrangle, are of modern design and handsome appearance, and cover about two acres of ground. We first inspected the Malting, a large building on the left side of the square, which consists of two floors, each divided into three compartments, the top used for Barley Barns, with concreted Steep, and the bottom for Malting; at the end there is a large Kiln, floored with wire cloth, and heated by peat. Adjoining is the Malt Store, through which we passed to reach the Mill, a neat apartment, containing the malt rollers and grinding machinery.
We next crossed over to the Still House, at the top of the quadrangle, a splendid building, which combines, a Mash House, and contains a circular Mash-tun, with the revolving stirring gear, the Heating Coppers, and a Morton’s Refrigerator; also at the other end two old Pot Stills, with a capacity of 2,400 and 1,300 gallons respectively. In close proximity is the Tun Room, which contains six Washbacks, each holding 4,500 gallons. The Spirit Store and large Bonded Warehouses are distributed round the quadrangle.
The Whisky is Highland Malt, and the annual output is 60,000 gallons.