Glenturret is one of Scotlands youngest 'old distilleries', while distillation occurred on or near the site since 1717 far prior to the distillery's claimed foundation in 1775. This claim relates to an illegal farm distillery established on the Hosh which would become licensed for distillation in 1818.
However the Hosh farm distillery closed repeatedly over the next few decades and it was only following the closing of another distillery and the acquisition of it's brand in 1875 that the distillery became Glenturret.
However this distillery was closed and was dismantled in 1929. The few dilapidated buildings purchased by James Fairlie in 1957 represent the only relationship to the earlier distillery. In spite of this Glenturret is generally regarded as the oldest working distillery in Scotland
In fairness, while this might sound a somewhat dubious claim, given the number of changes to equipment, complete redevelopments and whisky styles few distilleries can present a more reasonable claim
|Name||Pronounced||AKA||Region||Country of Origin|
|Status||Active||Whisky Type||Website||Tours Available|
|Manager||Distiller||Blender||Owned by||Parent Group|
|Neil Cameron||Highland Distillers|
1717 : Parish records report illicit distillation in the area
1775 : An illicit farm distillery is established in the Hosh
1816 : The Small Stills Act is introduced, making distillation in stills of 48 gallons and below illegal
1818 : John Drummon is granted the first license for distillation at 'the Hosh distillery'
1826 : A nearby distillery is established named 'Glenturret'
1842 : John Drummon is declared bankrupt in March 1842
1852 : John McCallum takes over the Hosh distillery, the Gleturret distillery folds
1874 : John McCallum is declared bankrupt
1875 : Thomas Stewart acquires the distillery and the name Glenturret. The Hosh distillery is expanded, modernised and rebranded Glenturret
1887 : Alfred Bernard visited the distillery recording the 'inner workings of the Distillery are of the oldest fashion, plan, and type' even for the time
1896 : The Glenturret Distillery Co. is established
1907 : The distillery is acquired by Mitchell Brothers Ltd. of Glasgow
1921 : Production stops and the distillery is closed
1929 : Glenturret distillery is dismantled and Mitchell Brothers Ltd. Go into administration
1957 : James Fairlie acquires the dilapidated distillery site and Glenturret brand
1959 : The new and old buildings are refitted incorporating the mash tun and stills from Tullibardine (itself undergoing a refit)
1960 : The new distillery becomes operational and spirit begins to flow
1964 : Fairlie showed the British Prime Minister, Sir Alec Douglas-Home, round the distillery
1981 : Rémy Cointreau one of the distilleries main customers takes over the distillery, the distillery and its visitor centre are expanded
1990 : In 1990, ownership passed to Highland Distillers Co Plc.
1993 : Glenturret joins Highland Distilleries Co plc
1998 : The company is renamed Highland Distillers Ltd
1999 : Highland Distillers Ltd is acquired by the Edrington Group Ltd
2002 : The £2.5million Famous Grouse Experience visitor centre is opened