Whiskipedia

The Whisky Encyclopedia

Glenskiach

Approximately 15 miles to the North of Inverness in Evanton near the river of Skiach that runs in the South of the town the distillery was built by John Ross in 1896 with a capital of £18,000. Between 1908-10, it seems to have experienced financial difficulties, having to borrow money. It stayed opened during the WWI and made profit records in 1920 (£4,720), but went in voluntary liquidation in 1926 for unknown reasons. The distillery was damaged by fire in 1929 and much of the site was demolished in 1933, the stones of the distillery being used to build the bridge over the Averon river. The remainder of of the site being used for housing.

NamePronouncedAKARegionCountry of Origin
GlenskiachGlemskiachHighlandsScotland
StatusActiveWhisky TypeWebsiteTours Available
Not Available
ManagerDistillerBlenderOwned byParent Group

Glenskiach Timeline:

1896 : Glenskiach distillery is founded by John Ross as Glen Skiach Distillery Co. in September

1897 : Incorporated as a limited company

1908 : Glenskiach had to borrow extensively between 1908 and 1910

1926 : The distillery fell silent

1929 : The site is badly damaged by fire

1932 : Liquidated after the distillery have been silent

Interesting articles about Glenskiach :

Glenskiach at Whisky News

Glenskiach at Mahorobi