Ardmore remains among the more traditional and uncelebrated distilleries, it's first official bottling was only 2007 and the site lacks a visitor centre - tours are by arrangement only.
While Ardmore and it's unpeated sister Ardlair are generally available the majority of the 5.5mla production remains blend centric, primarily but not exclusively for Teachers.
Ardmore was the second to last distillery to shift from coal to steam fired stills, and while onsite maltings ceased in 1976 when the floor maltings were removed to enable further expansion the distillery is one of only a handful to still maintain its own cooperage.
|Name||Pronounced||AKA||Region||Country of Origin|
|Status||Active||Whisky Type||Website||Tours Available|
|Manager||Distiller||Blender||Owned by||Parent Group|
|George Forsyth||Robert Hicks||Beam Suntory|
1898 : Ardmore distillery is founded by Adam Teacher to supply the Teachers blend
1923 : Ardmore Ltd is established
1955 : The distillery is expanded from two to four stills
1974 : A further four stills are added bringing the total to eight
1976 : Alied Breweries take over William Teacher & Sons, the Saladin malting boxes are removed
2002 : Fire damage sees the the direct coal fired still heating replaced by steam coils